How to find books?
Finding a book on the shelf
- Find the LOCATION of the book from online catalogue ESTER (select Tallinn University of Technology Library from the drop-down menu)
- Take note of the book’s STATUS (available, for use in lib, duedate when the book is returned).
- Write down or remember the book’s CALL # (location on the shelf).
- Click on the blue icon . The floor plan will open. The shelves that match the search parameters will be highlighted in red and numbered. Remember the number of the shelf.
Continue at the shelf where directed You.
- The shelves are organized by subject-based UDK - Universal Decimal Classification. (Subjects and UDK-indexes are listed on the sides of shelves).
- Within UDK the books are sorted by language:
- foreign (english, german etc)
- russian (and other cyrillic languages) books.
- Within language groups the books are sorted alphabetically by author’s or title's first letter.
- Within one letter the books are sorted by author's mark.
For instance, let’s say you’re looking for Peter Schöber’s book „Kohalik omavalitsus“, which is a call number 352/S-30 in e-catalogue ESTER.
- 352 is the UDK-index which represents the subject
- S-30 is the author’s mark (first letter of the author’s name)
- 30 is the order number within the range of letter S
Showed, that the book is located on shelf 239 on the 2nd floor. To find the book, follow the author’s sign (S-30) to the „S“ area of the shelf and follow the numbers until you reach S-30 (keep track by the stickers on the books).
NB! A shelf may contain multiple books with the same author’s call number.